Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Update

Marathon training is going as good I could hope for. I still have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of running 26.2 miles but Im having more confidence in my legs and body everyday.

Last month (January) I ran a total of 48 miles, went to 2 yoga classes a week and 1 body pump a week. This month so far Ive ran 53 miles and have got between 13-16 miles left this week (10 miler on Sunday).

I ran 13 miles this past Saturday and it was pretty great (chilly and wet, but legs felt good). So Ive got two half marathons under my belt for the month, and this weekend is kind of my kick back week and Im (only) doing 10 miles.

Ive definitely altered my schedule since I posted it the first time. Heres what it looks like now (only running is included, no cross training):

Almost impossible to read but Ill post a better picture when I get a chance.
Im pretty happy with how my body is reacting. Im not feeling too much pain yet, knees are the only place I hurt after a long run. I think yoga is one of the reasons my body is holding up so well. I think Im just going to try and ice my knees after all long runs to keep the inflammation down.

Recovery time is pretty minimal (Ive worked hours after my last 3 long runs) and staying on my feet has actually helped me because it keeps me from laying in bed and stiffening up.

The runs themselves are LONG though. The 13 miles on Saturday took me 2:30 running time, but I was probably outside for about 3 hours. I had to stop and change at my parents because I was so soaked. The rest are undocumented rests (which I am so so okay with). So my mornings are pretty much over by the time Im home, showered and fed.

One of the things Im trying to commit to (after long runs and all week) is eating better. Ive been getting a lot better this week with keeping bad snacking to a minimum and choosing healthier when I eat out. But a long run does not make it okay for quizno's and pad thai in one afternoon!

Last little update. Im thinking about making some changes to my diet. Im going to try and cut back on the dairy. I dont have a lot to begin with but Im starting to think I could go without it altogether. I also would LOVE to commit to eating a more local/organic diet but not ready to fully make that decision yet, so Im at least going to try and get to the Farmers Marker this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment