Sunday, June 20, 2010

Johnny Miles half marathon

I did it. I got through half marathon #4 and it aws as much of a success as I could have hoped for. Although I was in a pretty significant amount of pain for about 40% of it (Bluenose was about 70% pain) and I worked for each and every step. Here are my splits from my new Garmin: (and my garmin only measured 12.97miles but its a Boston Qualifier race course so I know it was at least 13.1)


Mile 1- 10:12
Mile 2- 10:24
Mile 3- 10:12
Mile 4- 10:13
Mile 5- 10:23
Mile 6-  09:58
Mile 7 - 09:57
Mile 8- 09:53
Mile 9- 10:04
Mile 10- 10:05
                     Mile 11- 10:50 <- I was really struggling here
Mile 12- 9:11

My complete time was 2:11:31 and my overall pace was 10:08 (with the several walking breaks that I took in the last half hour.
Here are some pictures from the race:

This is my family pre-race. We covered 3 of the 4 distances: 5km, 10km and Half marathon.

Dad and his two running daughters on a great fathers day.

Thats me in the yellow shirt giving 'er to the finish line.

Hows this for an action shot. My legs are blurry? or just shaking? Haha I was happy to be passing that other chick,

Clock time was 2 minutes faster than my Garmin. Im guessing Garmin will be closest to my chip time.

Post race photo with the sister. I was TIRED! I think my eyes are slightly open in this picture. But only slightly. Heather is not looking to hot haha.

Such a great weekend. The race was such a success not only because of the run but because of the great organization. My family and I drove into New Glasgow for Saturday for the pasta supper and race kit pick up. The kit has some great stuff like a tech tee and a nice hat and a magazine.

The pasta supper was pretty good, but not amazing. Although they did have spaghetti with the option of meat sauce or plain (I chose plain, obviously) but the Ceasar salad had bacon on it which I was a little unimpressed with because its not exactly something you can pick out. There were also bananas, chips, cookies, and donuts to go with the supper. Plus Gatorade, Tims coffee and tea, and water of course.

The expo was small but had some cool races and a great apparel booth from Runalicious with some awesome women's running clothes, that I was unfortunately too poor to buy anything from. But its a new company started by some Halifax women that you should check out :)

We drove home that night, and back up the next morning. New Glasgow is 1.5 hours from Dartmouth, so we covered a lot of distance in less than 24 hours, but Im glad I got to sleep in my own bed rather than a motel. Anyways start time was 8:30, and we were there and parked by 8:10. Parking was a breeze, and it was awesome cause there were some porta pottys in the parking lot. Clearly Im impressed by small details. The start line was like 4 minutes from the parking lot, and we walked by the pre-race food setup, which would be nice if you needed a quick snack.

The race course itself was nice. 1 loop for the 10km'ers, 2 loops for the half and 4 dreaded loops for those crazy marathoners. About 40% of the run was on a trail by the river which was super nice. There were some areas with a very nice breeze, and since it was a warm day that was very appreciated. Water stops were about every 4km with water and Gatorade. The finish line was my favourite part (which seems obvious but the finish line of Bluenose is uphill and pretty brutal). You turned off the road onto the bridge, had about 100m on the bridge and turned a corner and could see the finish line, about another 100m down the way. Another plus: it was slightly downhill! I was able to sprint with 2 girls, one beat me, and one who I beat!

Post race meal: sandwhiches from Tim Horton's, yogurt, fruit, granola bars, coffee, tea, bagels, donuts, etc. And the had veggie sandwhiches! It was awesome.

Overall, great weekend, great race, and great result :) I am a happy girl, ready for a solid sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment